Can't find something ?

August 12, 2012

Vintage camera find!

I have had my eye out for a medium-format camera. This weekend I went to the Ashby Flea Market in Berkeley and found an interesting camera. I checked it out carefully to be sure everything was working correctly. To my surprise all functioning parts were well intact, functioning and sound. To top it off, it takes 120 film! At $25, coming with it's personal carrier case also in great condition, I snagged it.


So what camera is this?

It is a Nettar II 517/16" (folding camera) made by Zeis Ikon, a German company!
 

I had been holding onto a pack of Lomo 800 Color Neg. 120 film, just to encourage myself to get a medium format camera. I eagerly went to Looking Glass Photo, where they kindly showed me how to load the film. Now it was trying to figure out the settings. 

Here is some information I found on the net about this camera:
Photos  created with camera
Flicker Discussion on Camera
  • Year of release: 1949
  • Film Format: 120 roll film (6×6cm exposures)
  • Shutter: Vario leaf shutter (or Pronto or Prontor-SV) , speeds 1/25 sec – 1/200 sec (or Prontor-SV: 1sec - 1/300 sec).
  • Lens: Novar Anastigmat 1:6.3/75mm, other version with a 1:4.5/75mm
  • Aperture: 6.3 to 22 (or 4.5 to 22)
  • Viewfinder: optical direct vision viewfinder below flash shoe

 
Now about specs. This specimen  uses Novar Anstigmat 75mm f/6.3 lens which is quite slow but usable.  It has 3 shutter speeds + Bulb mode. Speeds are 1/25, 1/75 and 1/200th of second. Sadly very limited selection and 1.5 stop difference between them.  Because of this getting correct exposure is quite hard, thus i won’t be using slide film with this nice camera. Focusing is done rotating front ring for distance marks and guessing distance. Not best method but most folders of that time had this, only more expensive models had coupled rangefinder.  Camera also has hole for flash sync and another one for shutter release cable.
 

I can't wait to get the film developed!
It will be the moment of truth to see if it REALLY works!

No comments:

Post a Comment