Can't find something ?

February 6, 2011

an experience

In attempts to get more in touch with the art world, I have been in contact with Jasmine Moorhead, owner and director, of Krowswork, a gallery in Oakland dedicated to digital and photographic work (though not limited to).
This First Friday I was able to participate in the Art Murmur taking place in dowtown Oakland. I was suppose to be watching over an installation by Karen Seneferu, originally from Richmond, making sure the viewers were to respect the space, in hopes of no mistakable alterations to the art created. It was a refreshing experience, as later in the night Karen arrived, to take place in her own space. Here she burnt sage, and elegantly stood among her installation, welcoming viewers to kneel on the pillows provided, to peer into the vessels, African-influenced sculptures with attached digital elements, and shrine-esque areas she created. She was very open to speaking about her findings, and how objects became a part of her work. Many objects she said "spoke to her" which is a something I feel many can relate to, in that, people have there interests and don't seem to know why. After experiencing this, I came to a conclusion that her work was very subjective, on a conscious and unconscious level. This lead me to the conclusion that people experiencing this space were also viewing it subjectively. It seems that her intention was to provide a space, and then allow the viewer to take away what it is they felt reached out to them.
This process of thought may be similar in the way that people interested in art view art.
(I speak of this, because in my attempts to be a part of a functioning gallery, I felt I had no effect to the surrounding.)
After much thought, and reflection of my own art viewing experience, I realized that I did not need to be completely present in the viewing of these artworks. Most people tend to look, appreciate, think, think a little bit more, and then move on. There is only the few that have questions, and for those that did I would of been there to answer.
On another note, Ron M. Saunders, a San Francisco rooted artist, showed his beautiful, one- of-a-kind photograms, which served a subjective purpose as well. He inserted his own body (i.e. head , hands) into the photograms, bringing a personal perspective to the work.
Overall, this experienced delighted me, and as someone in the process of learning, discovered a perspective on the art gallery that I had yet to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment